Saturday, January 21, 2012

I'm gonna be a Phi Lamb!

Hey y'all!

I know blogs without pictures are boring- and this one is going to be a long one. PLEASE bear with me.

Most of you don't know this, but last night I started rushing for a sorority- Sigma Phi Lambda.
Before you're all "oh my goodness, she's going wild and will be drunk in bars all the time throwing away her opportunity for an awesome education," let me just tell you that this sorority is a Non-Panhellenic sorority, meaning it's the exact opposite of the sororities we all know. (PAUSE: I HAVE AMAZING FRIENDS WHO ARE IN SORORITIES AND ARE NOT PART OF THE STEREOTYPE- AND I LOVE YOU GIRLS!) This sorority does not require you to meet with a bunch of frat guys at a bar each week, spend a million dollars on meaningless things, or run around being chased by people trying to freeze you with ice water. This is a sorority for girls to get together and have fun without all the ignorant frat guys or pitchers of beer. The motto of Sigma Phi Lambda is "Sisters for the Lord."

Warning: I hate typing things sometimes because it sounds different than I think it would if I were speaking it aloud. It's going to sound like I am going on some religious tangent, but I'm not. Don't get me wrong, some people are very very religious, and I admire them for that. That just isn't me, and I don't want it to appear like I'm going through some crisis because most of you have never heard me open up about these things. I also don't want to come off ashamed of my beliefs. It's hard to explain- just understand I love God and I practice in my own ways that I find comfortable.

I decided to this because I honestly don't feel like I have anyone around me that feels the way I do when it comes to God. I am not the type of person to shove it down anyone's throat, and I'm not super religious either. I don't have very strong views about any of it. But, I am a Christian. I simply believe in God and want to be in touch with him. When I put myself through the Aldersgate United Methodist Church youth group and services, I always felt so much better just being there. There were plenty of times I went there just to hang out. Religion wouldn't even come up in conversation, but I knew I was home there. When I left Slidell for LSU, I lost touch with my faith. This gives me the opportunity to meet a bunch of girls that feel the exact same way I do. They don't just get together and talk about God every single second (we do that, just not every time). They do activities and plan events, but it's with a group of people that are so full of love and will never judge, and it's all in the Lord's name.

Well, last night (the first night of rush) was a mock Chapter meeting like the ones I will have to go to every Monday. As soon as I walked into that room, I knew that I was home. I've kind of been feeling a void in my life lately. I knew immediately that I was exactly where I belonged.

I have two more events before I am an official pledge of Sigma Phi Lambda. Tonight, we have a progressive dinner. I LOVE progressive dinners! Monday night is commitment night, but it's an informal party that's 80's themed. HOLLA!

I'll be sure to take lots of pictures, and on Monday I'll put a new post with all the details!
Again, I'm so sorry I have this really boring picture-less blog. It'll get better, I promise!

Till then...

XoXo,
E

1 comment:

  1. Boring .. not at all! I'm so happy you've found this sorority. I believe that joining the youth group at Aldersgate was a great influence on your life, and this sorority should be too! You chose these things on your own, and we're so proud of you. As your mom, I was very glad to hear that this was a Christian sorority and that you weren't gonna be partying all the time .. lol!

    I love the way you write, and I was telling Dad about your first post. Gonna show him these over the weekend. I love progressive dinners too, but haven't been to very many. Have fun tonight and Monday night. Looking forward to hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete