Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Bride on a Budget - Part 1: Use Your Resources

Hey y'all!

As you know, I am currently planning a wedding.  I took the first few months of our engagement to focus on school.  Now that I have a little break between the summer and fall semesters, I am constantly making lists, e-mailing and calling for quotes, etc.  As I go along and learn my lessons, I'll post the major ones on here.  I'll also review our vendors after the big day.




The budget has been set and I think it's great.  At least for me it is.  I know a lot of people that would easily dish out 50 grand of their family's money on a single day, but that's just not me.  Of course I have my own expectations and dreams, but I'm doing everything I can to stay under our budget.  After all, as long as I marry my best friend that night, I don't care about anything else that may go wrong or not measure up to someone else's standards.

I still have a while to go in the planning process, but I already have a mega tip for other brides:
Use. Your. Resources.


I am fortunate enough to be a part of a family with a lot of people in different skill sets and professions, and so is Clay.  Don't be scared to ask!  If you know someone with something you could borrow, or someone that can hook you up with a great deal, TAKE IT!  If anyone involved in the wedding knows someone that can get them a good deal, usually they can get that deal for you as well.  Most people would love to be a part of your big day, and if they want a little compensation, I promise they will tell you.  The best part is, most won't ask for anything.  What's the worse they can do? Say no?  If so, just move on to your other options!  It's not being a free-loader, and being on a budget.

For example, there is a florist in the family that can get us wholesale flowers.  We are most definitely going to do that.  Even if it means making my own bouquets and centerpieces.  I would actually LOVE to do that, anyway :)

Another example: the venue we are using is a private barn.  My dad is a contractor.  The barn needs minor fixing up.  Viola!  Perfect trade off.

[Those are just two of the awesome things we're catching a break on.]

Another thing I've learned- don't instantly jump on a "good deal" you see advertised.  I have come across two photo booth companies advertising great pricing, which are really great compared to their normal rates. However, I also researched other companies in the area offering the same service who have better quality and offer more with their package.  They are about $100 more expensive than the "deal rate" the other companies have, but I'd be getting more bang for my buck by paying the $100 more.

So, I guess my next tip would be to do a lot of research.



Use yourself as a resource.  Wedding planners usually just do the researching for you (which, yeah, is nice to not have to do).  Some even just pull from a book of vendors they always have and don't look for any deals going on with other vendors that you could benefit from.  I didn't even consider hiring a wedding planner because my dream is to be a planner and I'd rather do it all myself.

But if you are looking to hire someone, hire me ;)

xoxo,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment